WANT TO BE ‘JUST A SPERM DONOR’? WHY YOU SHOULD DONATE TO A SPERM BANK30th May 2017
Have you heard about Just A Baby? It’s a new Tinder-style app, recently launched in the UK, which aims to connect people together who share a desire to create a baby.
People create profiles outlining what they need or can provide – from sperm donation to egg donation, surrogacy or co-parenting – which are then matched to other users in the app’s community.
It sounds like a great idea. Families can be created in lots of different ways and the demand for sperm donors is greater than ever. But it is hugely risky for potential sperm donors.
Because although the app advises that users seek legal and medical advice once they connect to someone, it’s left entirely to app users to arrange and ensure they follow this through.
This could leave sperm donors exposed to all kinds of serious implications, including legal parenthood.
Helping a stranger to have a family through sperm donation is a wonderful, altruistic thing to do, and it’s good to hear that so many people are now realising how much sperm donors – and indeed egg donors and surrogates - are needed thanks to Just A Baby.
But donating sperm is not a decision to ever make lightly via an app. It needs to be an informed and clarified decision, with support that can never be offered through an app alone.
It’s why we urge any man considering altruistic sperm donation – who only wants to be a sperm donor and not a parent - to go through licensed channels and donate via a sperm bank like Semovo. When you donate through us:
- You’re completely protected by law. You would indeed be ‘just a sperm donor’. You would never be the child’s legal parent and all this entails.
- The recipient of your sperm would never know who you are. Anonymity is intact between sperm donor and recipient.
- You’ll be fully supported every step of the way by our comprehensive and caring Semovo team which includes having implications counselling with our BICA-accredited counsellors.
- Your sperm donation journey is tailored and personalised to you. Have consultations and counselling over Skype, and donate sperm at your local Semovo sperm bank when it suits you – it’s all on your terms.
- Your sperm has a great chance of being used successfully in fertility treatment, because of our commitment and approach to providing high quality sperm to those who need it.
You’re entitled to find out if your recipient has a baby, the year of its birth and its gender – so you’ll know that your sperm donation has truly changed lives.
Find out more about donating sperm to Semovo, sperm donor criteria and FAQs, to help you decide if sperm donation is right for you. Have a chat to our friendly team on 0345 266 1272; if you’re ready to apply you can complete our application form online.